Friday, December 7, 2012

Homemade Baby Food: Epic Fail

I have been trying a lot of new things recently.  This partly due to staying at home, partly to choosing to live off of one income, and partly due to Pinterest.  I have been crafting quite a bit and made my own laundry detergent.  My new adventure is attempting to make baby food.
Brynlee recently starting eating some baby food.  I realized that while the prepackaged foods are convenient, they are a bit pricey.  $1 for two servings of carrots or $1 for a whole bag of carrots?  
Our blender started smelling like something burning the last time we used it.  So, the logical thing to do was to buy a Ninja on Thanksgiving night.  I'm actually glad I did.  I was attempting to save it for Christmas so that Justin would have something to wrap for me to open.  But, last night I was cooking carrots for dinner and I thought it was the perfect opportunity!

I set aside some carrots before I lathered mine in brown sugar and butter.  Then, I busted out the Ninja. (By the way, the Ninja is not a toy like my mother thought.  It is similar to a magic bullet.)



It worked great at pureeing those carrots! I was quite excited and proud of myself when I put them in the fridge for the next day.

Just remember, pride comes before the fall.

The next morning I was feeling pretty confident, so I mashed up some banana in Brynlee's cereal.  It took a total of about 30 seconds and no extra dishes!

It seemed to go pretty well at first, but then she got a few larger chunks of banana and didn't care for that at all. She wouldn't finish her cereal.

Then, lunch time came.  I was ready! I spooned some of the carrots into a bowl, heated them up, got Brynlee situated and even got the camera ready.  I gave her a bite....and she made the most awful face.   

Ok, she just needs to get used to it. 


 I tried another bite...same reaction.  I tried a few more bites and it just got worse. 

She started gagging like crazy, so I gave up.  I gave her the packaged baby food carrots and she gobbled it up.


So, my first day of homemade baby food:
Attempt #1: Semi-fail
Attempt #2: Epic Fail

I will try again tomorrow after I mash things up more and add more water.  

No comments:

Post a Comment